Thursday, August 15, 2013

picked up pottery

Melinda made the purple dish on the bottom right.  The glaze is called smokey Merlot.  The actual color is close, but a bit darker.
The red one above is David's.  It's actually not the color shown on the screen at all.  It is a brick red.
The crazy color bowl has a cut on the side I didn't see before I fired it the first time so I used it to see what some new glazes look like on this clay.   The yellow stripe looks just like that, but the title of the glaze is lime green.  I'll have to try the green on a white clay to see what happens.  The green radiating stripes are supposed to be forest green.  I think I just need thicker coats.  The blue is tidal pool, and the blue green is jade.  The stripe that looks black is a metallic silvery color.  The jade and the metallic can't go on the inside of dishes.

I'm trying to make clock.  so far it looks nice, but I'm not going to assume anything until it is glazed and out of the kiln.

I spent the afternoon at my office with a new math instructor.  He has taught math before but not the different kinds of math that show up in math 123.  His degree is in Chemistry.  We had a good chat.  He has noticed how unprepared students are to take his chemistry class.  He sees the same things I do.  Students can't work basic arithmetic like fractions, percentages, or proportions.  I wish grades 1 -12, even after they are in algebra and allowed a calculator had to do an arithmetic quiz by hand once a week to keep skills they knew at one time fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.